So Greece is out of the Euro – what’s new? Tonight’s game looks to be good; Spain vs. France. I’m going all out for France for a few reasons:
- Spain beat Holland in the last World Cup final (bastards)
- I speak better French than Spanish
- I love the country – I spent a lot of glorious summers at our farmhouse in the Lanqedoc region in the South of France when I was a kid/young teenager and I remember the place and people fondly, not to mention the food.
- My first crush (who wasn’t a member of Duran Duran) was on a French boy – Olivier. He was quite a bit older than me (I was about 13 or 14!) and he never really noticed me, except for saying “bonjour” cheerily when he arrived to work on our property in the morning but I remember him very well 😉
Don’t get me wrong I have been to Spain and love the country and its people too (even dated a lovely Spaniard for quite a long time) but today “je suis Francaise”.
French food is great. Really what more does one need than a baguette, a chunk of creamy brie and the odd frogs leg or snail thrown in for good measure. I really don’t know why people make such a big deal about eating frogs legs and snails…they are very tasty and in my view no worse than eating beef, chicken or mussels. But for the food purists out there I will give you one of my favourite vegetarian recipes from France today…also perfect for a snack during the football match.
Deep Fried Brie
Warm melted brie oozes out of a crispy breadcrumb coating when you bite into these pieces of heaven. Serve with cranberry sauce and a small side salad and you have the perfect starter or snack.
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) wedge Brie cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (shop bought is fine)
- 3 cups good olive oil for deep frying
- 1 cup of cranberry sauce (shop bought… you can get it at Nebula Supermarket in Sri Lanka and in good supermarkets in Colombo)
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with some salt and pepper using a fork. Place the bread crumbs in a separate bowl. Dip the cubes of Brie into the egg, then roll in breadcrumbs until evenly coated and well covered. Place the cheese cubes on a tray, and refrigerate for about 20 minutes, to firm up.
- Heat oil in deep-fryer or frying pan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Fry the cheese cubes for 3 to 5 minutes, until deep golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Serve warm with cranberry sauce for dipping.
VIVE LA FRANCE!!