Ok, ok I have a weakness for KFC. Zinger burgers are pretty tasty (although I hate the KFC chips – greasy, sloppy & anaemic – gah). Yes I know it’s crap fast food and unhealthy so I’ve been trying out some new healthier and spicier variations at home and one of these turned out very nicely so I’m letting you in on the recipe.
The Sri Lankan bit arose from me trying to give traditional fried chicken a little bit more of an ethnic zing. The healthier bit is simply by baking the chicken pieces in the oven instead of deep-frying them. You can still get lovely crispy edges by using the flour, egg, and bread crumb method…
Healthy Oven Fried Chicken with a Sri Lankan Twist:
Ingredients (serves 2 to 4 people):
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces (wings, drumsticks, thighs, breasts)
For the marinade:
- 2 cups milk or plain yogurt or curd (I am using “cups” here not because I like the American way of listing ingredients, just because the measurements need not be exact!)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsps roasted curry powder
- 1 tbsp salt (or 3 to 4 tbsps of soya sauce)
- 1 tbsp black pepper (freshly crushed pepper corns taste best)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
For the breading:
- 1 cup wheat flour (see note above about “cups”)
- 1 tsp unroasted curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade. Place the chicken parts in the bowl. If the liquid does not cover the chicken, add more water. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours (or longer).
- After chicken has marinated for 2 hours, set up 3 large soup plates side-by-side.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- In the first plate, mix together the flour, curry powder, and ground cumin.
- In the second plate, beat together the two eggs, salt, garlic powder, and olive oil.
- In the third plate, put in the bread crumbs.
- Take one chicken piece out of the marinade, submerge it in the flour mixture to coat. Next, dunk it in the egg mixture, and finally dredge it in the bread crumbs until completely covered. Place in a oven proof pan. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Bake at 200 degrees celcius for 35 to 40 minutes, or until chicken is nicely browned AND CRISPY!
You can serve this as a main meal with rice and salad or simply as a snack with some chilli sauce. Enjoy.