I am honestly scared to support anybody now in the Euro 2012 Championship. I’m a jinx; every team I support loses. Ireland were kicked out yesterday and Holland are only hanging on by the skin of their teeth.
Most people expect me to support England now… and perhaps I will but not publicly on this blog (only maybe if they reach the final) so today a recipe which is pretty neutral. When Germany next plays I will post a German recipe for sure 😉
Today’s football treat is steak bites with a bloody mary dipping sauce and here is how you make them:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 2 tbsps Worcestershire sauce (the only English ingredient!!)
- 2 tsps chilli sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 rounded tbsp prepared horseradish (is this English??! Gulp)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/3 pounds beef sirloin cut into largish bite-sized pieces, 1 by 2 inches
- 1 tbsp good quality butter
- Steak seasoning blend or coarse salt and black pepper
- 6 to 8 inch bamboo skewers
Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and onions and fry for 5 minutes. Add vodka and reduce by 1/2. Add Worcestershire sauce, chilli sauce, ketchup and horseradish. Stir to mix the dipping sauce and let it softly boil. Add salt and pepper to adjust seasonings.
Heat a frying pan over high heat. add butter until it starts foaming. Season steak with steak seasoning blend or salt and pepper, to taste. Cook the meat until caramelized all over, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer dipping sauce to a small dish and place at the center of a serving platter. Surround the dip with meat bites and place several bamboo or skewers along side the meat.
Enjoy and good luck whoever you are supporting today!!